SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS
The Solids and Liquids Module provides experiences
that heighten students’ awareness of the physical world.
Matter with which we interact exists in three fundamental
states: solid, liquid, and gas. In this module first and second
graders have introductory experiences with two of these states
of matter, solid and liquid.
FOSS EXPECTS STUDENTS TO
- Develop curiosity and interest in the objects that make
up their world.
- Investigate materials constructively during free exploration and in a guided
- Recognize differences between solids and liquids.
- Explore a number of liquids.
- Observe and describe the properties of solids and liquids.
- Sort materials according to properties.
- Combine and separate solids of different particle sizes.
- Observe and describe what happens when solids are mixed with water.
- Observe and describe what happens when other liquids are mixed with water.
- Use information gathered to conduct an investigation on an unknown material.
- Acquire the vocabulary associated with the properties
of solids and liquids.
- Use written and oral language to describe observations.