Frequently Asked Questions for FOSS Implementation and Content
- Where can I find research related to FOSS and active science? Check the FOSS Research Database located at http://lhsfoss.org/scope/research/search.php. You can also visit the FOSSworks website, sponsored by Delta Education, at http://www.fossworks.com.
- Does FOSS align with the district's standards and/or state framework? FOSS modules and courses have been correlated to a number of state and regional standards, as well as to the National Science Education Standards (NSES). You can view these correlations at http://lhsfoss.org/scope/correlations/index.html.
- Where can I find out about getting training on a FOSS Module or Course? There are three sources for information concerning Professional Development.
First, you can contact your local FOSS Sales Manager for workshops happening in your area or to schedule a workshop. You can find out who your local Sales Manager is at http://www.delta-education.com/science/foss/salesmap.shtml.
Second, you can check the FOSS Professional Development Calendar online at http://www.fossweb.com/news/calendar.php.
Third, you can check the FOSS Newsletter calendar. The newsletter is published twice a year, and is also posted and archived on our lhsfoss.org website. If you would like to get on the mailing list, please send an e-mail with your snail-mail address to email@example.com.
Back to top
- Where can I buy FOSS? Can I pliot test it before purchasing? How much does it cost? How can I purchase consumables or replacements? Delta Education is the FOSS publisher. Check out their website for prices, components and all other information related to purchase and customer service at http://www.deltaeducation.com/foss.
- Where do I get information about other recommended resources, such as books, that supplement the FOSS program? You can find a searchable resource database that includes book, videos, software, and website references at http://lhsfoss.org/fossweb/teachers/resources/index.html.
A list of resources is also included for each module and course included on www.fossweb.com. Go to the specific module or course of interest for this information.
- What do I do about the live organisms (e.g. getting them, keeping them alive)? An entire section on the care and management of living organisms is available on FOSSweb. Check out Plant and Animal Care and Sources for Organisms. Delta Education also includes information about organisms on their website at http://www.delta-education.com/science/foss/living.shtml.
Back to top
- Where can I find duplication masters for student sheets and assessments for download? Go to http://www.lhsfoss.org/fossweb/teachers/parents/dupmasters.php for a listing of all available duplication masters. You will need to request a username and password to download assessment masters which are available for teachers only.
If you are looking for duplication masters for a specific module, you can also access them from the modules pages. From the homepage, go to the grade level of the module, then to the module itself, and then click on Teacher Resources from the left-hand menu.
- What do I do if I have lost print materials or equipment malfunctions? Contact your local FOSS Sales Manager for assistance at
- Is it possible to use FOSS materials for home schools? Please contact Delta Education for information about using FOSS in home schools at
Back to top